Friday, October 28, 2011

"The desire to enjoy the "Present Moment"

   "You gotta stop and smell the roses!", like what the heck does that really mean?  I never knew.  My grandmother had a saying for every moment and every situation.  I just ignored most of what she had to say.  Things like; "to forgive is human and to forget is divine"...really?.  Little treasures like that.

     Now in later recovery, later?  Hmmm, contented?   Hmmmm long?, yeah, long recovery, some of my grandmothers old sayings are starting to actually make sense to me.  Like the one; "you gotta stop and smell the roses."  I know that roses could only smell in a present moment, certainly not in the past, for I can't be there and not in the future since I am not there yet.

     I think that the term "roses" may be a reference to The Divine.  The glorious smell of a rose just blooming in the cool morning can bring waves of joy, peace and love to mind quickly.  Much the same as those quiet yet dynamic interior thoughts we can have of God or IT.  Both actions can foster nearly identical feelings and thoughts.  For so many years I would not, not could not, but would not stop long enough to enjoy Life, GOD or any physical beauty around me.  Now today in long recovery I am learning that "smelling the roses" is the payoff for all the effort and tribulations of recovery.

     In long recovery, and by the way, one does not have to wait for long recovery, "right now" would be a grand time", it is my choice each and every waking moment of just exactly what I want to experience in my daily life.  It is through my perception that I "see" what is going on and thus make wise informed choices.  Looking to IT for peace, love and joy vice allowing myself to me mired down in my humanity of doubt, worry, expectations and human suffering.

     In the very early days of recovery the old timers would look at me and ask me if I thought it was; "all about me?", actually I would answer yes.  They reminded me that maybe that was a little egotistical or narcissistic and I should mend my ways.  Of course they were right at that time.  Life may have evolved to the point where it is all about ME, noting that me is now ME.....not me.  The little "me" has given for the most part, not all of it, way to the Higher "ME" and yes recovery is in fact all about "ME".

      It seems to come down to the fact that as promised early in recovery that I would be given choices.  Today I am afforded the opportunity to choose between racing dangerously around and through fear in life or choosing to take my time and allow the Guide in life to direct my efforts.  It truly is in fact "All about ME!".
That means that it is time to close my eyes, open the screen of my imagination and see, smell and experiences in this present moment that I know are manifestations of God or IT in my life today during each "Present Moment".  Namaskar'.

Love and Light,

richard aka ezduzit777 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment